Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Radha's Fit Spiced Buttermilk:

Ayurveda, the art of Indian Medicine is something I believe in very much. Ayurveda recommends people to consume butter milk, particularly during summer months, especially after the mid day meal. I usually drink three to four cups during summer months after every meal. It helps in the digestion process and the probiotics are good to cleanse the intestines. On a regular basis, I wash down my early dinner with a tall glass of chilled buttermilk. It completes my meal and leaves me with enough energy to wind up the day for the family and prepare for bed time. I drink this any time I eat multi Grain Rotis so it can work with that fiber and effectively cleanse and rehydrate my guts. This refreshing drink is energizing and helps restore skin's moisture balance. We also use this as an electrolyte. Several of my childhood friends used to swear that drinking buttermilk made them taller than they would have been. I'm not sure about that claim, seems ridiculous, but throughly enjoy drinking up this lovely drink. Back home, we used fresh buffalo milk for making delicious butter milk. But here in USA, I don't have that choice. We use organic Cow Milk to prepare thick yogurt. As soon as the yogurt is ready, we immediately remove a portion and make buttermilk and let it sit in the fridge. We drink it often as required.

Ingredients:
Butter Milk, 4 Cups
Alternately, 2 cups Yogurt with 2 Cups chilled water
Rock Salt or Himalayan Salt
Pound together: Ginger + Green Chili + toasted Cumin + Cilantro (according to your taste)

Method:
Add this pounded mixture to buttermilk and mix very well.
It should be chilled to work effectively.
Serve immediately or store in frdge and use as needed.
Try to finish the buttermilk on the same day.

No comments:

Post a Comment