Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Radha's Fit Soup : Spinach Barley Soup

I love to drink this soup for lunch with a slice of whole grain bread and a small Organic Romain Lettuce Salad.

Spinach Barley Soup:

Fresh Baby spinach leaves or one small bag of frozen bag (as much as you like)
1 small White Onion, sliced fine
2 cloves Garlic crushed
1 large Tomato chopped into large pieces
Vegetable Broth (Organic) 3 Cups
Water, 3 Cups
Pearl Barley, 1/2 Cup
1 tsp Cumin
1 Green Chile
Salt and Pepper, as required
1 tsp Grapeseed Oil
1 tsp Sesame Oil

Method:

Barley cooks really faster if you soak it for a while or even better, if you have a pressure pan like mine.
In the pressure pan or heavy bottomed pan with a heavy lid, heat both oils. Add Cumin and toast.
Add onions and saute until transparent.
Add Tomato and saute for two minutes.
Add Green chile and salt.
Add spinach and saute until it wilts lightly.
Add Soaked Barley with the water it soaked in, the Broth, and Water.
Put the lid on, and if it's a pressure pan, keep it for one whistle.
If using pan, boil until tender.
I love using a pressure pan as I know for sure that my soup has not evaporated and thickened out.
If I'm using a thick pan with lid, I make sure that the barley is soaked and cooked before starting out the recipe. That way I can be sure that my soup will not evaporate.
I love to add some cinnamon to this as it's good for blood circulation and also tastes great.
Serve hot with a slice of whole grain bread, Salt, and Pepper.

Bread:

I usually use Ezekiel Sprouted bread.

Romaine Salad:

I usually break the Romaine hearts, add some fruit like water melon, and about 2 Tbsp of mixed raw nuts.
I drizzle a tsp of Walnut oil.
I make sure to use all organic ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment